I chose to do a more complicated reading since today is a quiet day with lots of free time. Concerned about my own business issues, I pulled out what was either the first or second deck I ever purchased: The Enchanted Tarot by Amy Zerner. The card images are lovely quilts, and this deck has always served me well for questions of relationships or money.
For the spread, I used the “Spiritual Guidance” spread from Tarot Made Easy by Nancy Garen.
I did this reading focused on current financial concerns, and my concerns for the coming year. Running multiple small businesses is hard, and I needed some outside, uninvolved perspective! So, let’s get to the reading!
- Where you are now/That which concerns you: Five of Hearts. This card shows three broken hearts and two whole ones. It is a card of disappointment. Though some has been lost, we must remember that which remains. To dwell too much on that which we don’t have is to risk being depressed and despondent. Take the time to be kind to yourself as you would be to another person. This does sum up my current frustrations nicely. I’m not failing, but I am also not facing the end of the year as well as I would like.
- What is the force or motivation behind your desire: Two of Swords. Frequently this is a card of indecision, or teetering between two things. This deck points out that you must be on guard that a time of contemplation doesn’t become a time of procrastination. In other words, don’t over think it! It is a time for considering other viewpoints and finding compromise. I have felt stuck lately, and working equally with someone else has its own set of challenges, so this fits well.
- What is the underlying problem: Three of Pentacles. This is a card all about sharing the work. (Yeah, so about that working with someone…) Though obstacles may stand in the way, look forward to achieving a distant goal. Work shared is work halved. Satisfaction is the reward of consistent work with a partner. Don’t try to work by yourself – find a partner who is willing to work steadily and consistently with you. As for me interpreting it, this could either me not feeling like things are shared equally, or not being able to let go of some concerns and let things be shared.
- What you need to understand that you’re not aware of: Seven of Pentacles. Fear of failing or indulging in worry about the future will not determine a favorable outcome. You must maintain a strong desire to achieve even in the face of defeat. Roots have dug deep and flowers will bloom again in their own time. It is neither profitable or necessary to constantly measure the growth of your project. Perhaps I have been worrying too much. This card is a good thing for me to remember as I head into the slow season for my businesses.
- What you need to do to come to terms with your problem: Eight of Swords. Don’t concentrate on unimportant details. Try to see the whole picture. In times of doubt and confusion, don’t act immediately but wait for illumination. Don’t over-analyze. Your own lack of perspective has imprisoned you. Okay, overthinking it has now become a theme. Taking a step back, looking for outside perspective, and not being too hasty. Winter is a good time for patience – with myself and others.
- What’s the best way to proceed in order to carry out the advice given: Strength. This card is not about physical strength, but spiritual and emotional strength. Balance courage and perseverance in the face of fear. Gentleness can accomplish what brute force cannot. As the only Major Arcana card in this reading, this one takes on extra meaning. Mental strength and perseverance are definitely good things to focus on. This is kind of the “don’t give up” card of this reading, but also a relax and don’t force it card.
- Spiritual Guidance concerning your future: Eight of Pentacles. If you are prepared to learn as you work carefully, attending to all details lovingly, you will achieve great results. Doing work for its own sake and not for speedy self gain or other’s profit. Serene contentment follows a job well done. This is a great reminder card for anyone who works as an artist, or in something they love. I did not start my creative business as a means to get rich. While money is needed to survive and thrive, sometimes I forget that I do this because I love this. Winter is a great time to make amazing things just because I want to.
- Your ultimate attainment: Three of Wands. Adopt an attitude that lets you see as a child and look for playmates or soulmates for collaboration in a happy enterprise. This moment of openness will be joined with practicality. Find others who in union will each add specific skills for a successful conclusion to a shared venture. Now is the time to sow the seeds of future harvests. There is a reason I chose to go into business with a friend, and I should remember that! We have some amazing things we still have not gotten to make together, things that we love, and we have the opportunity to do that. I love that this reading ends with messages about happy partnership!
Thanks everyone for reading along! I hope you are all having a happy holiday and Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it.
Next week – the first of the year is Tuesday, so I’ll be doing a wheel of the year reading that I try to start off every year with. Here’s to a good 2019!